Be Still Banner

Monday, December 13, 2010

Visiting the Greats


(old photo - Grandpa with Sophie)
Yesterday Brad and I went to visit his maternal Grandpa and get together with the family. After that we called up my Grandpa and paid him a visit with the girls. What a wonderful thing to see my girls love my Grandpa. I love him so much, and I hate that I don't get to see him more (my own fault really). The girls loved his sense of humor, and most of all they loved his name. Pres... "Like press a button Mommy?" said Sophie.

I wish I had my camera with me... I left it at the first Christmas party :( Seeing my girls give Grandpa Great hugs and kisses brought tears to my eyes. Grandpa is almost 90 years old, and has few years left... I wonder if my girls will ever remember him. I do know this. I have fantastic memories of my Grandpa, and I will always hold them dear.

My favorite moment was when he asked the girls if they liked the cottage (This would be his cottage that we get to enjoy all summer long - even when he can't). They said yes, and Evie told him about all the tubing and skiing she does at 4 years old! I told him it was so neat to see my girls love the cottage, like I did, and my dad did. I told him he started something very special with that cottage that was passed down to many generations... and my Grandpa got tears in his eyes. For Grandpa, it is not experiences anymore - but memories. I'm so glad we have so many good ones to share!

God bless Grandpa Great!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said, Stacey. They do not get better than Grandpa Hopkins, he is a treasure. Good thing Dad is just like him, huh? ;-)

G-nize said...

Awww, Soph, Look at that little cutie face!! Nothing more precious than seeing a baby in the hands of a doting greatgrandpa!

Mom H said...

Yes, Grandpa is great! He's always been a very kind and caring father-in-law too. He loves his family so much!So glad you could pay him a visit :)I'm sure it meant so much to him. I do love that pic of him holding Sophie.And yes your dad is very much like his dad,Chelle.