Be Still Banner

Monday, January 21, 2008

Not Good - Could Be Worse


(Above: Olivia's favorite bunny that she clung to all day today)

This morning I took Olivia to the doctor because she stopped taking fluids, and I wanted a chest x-ray for her too - to check for pneumonia. On the way to the doctor she barfed up her drink in the van. After getting home from the doctor's office and x-ray, I was taking off her coat and she started convulsing.

She had a seizure. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. I didn't know what to do. I am so glad my mom was there because I was not able to keep my cool. I tried to get the girls' pediatrician's office on the phone, but of course all the lines were busy. So, I decided to call 911. The paramedics came and checked her out. By that time the seizure was done and she was sleeping sound.

I finally got a hold of my doctor, and she suggested taking the ambulance to the ER so Olivia could get fluids - I had been suspecting dehydration. She also said Olivia's x-ray came back clear - no pneumonia.

Off to the ER we went again. This time I rode in an ambulance with Olivia. She slept the whole way there.

The diagnosis: She was dehydrated and needed a couple bags of fluid. The seizure was called a febrile seizure. This means it was due to a sudden spike in her temperature. She has a pretty bad bronchial virus, but nothing that can be medicated. I have to stay on top of her fevers to prevent further seizures, so Tylenol and Motrin round the clock.

On the way home from the hospital Olivia barfed up every thing again.

Both Olivia and Sophie continued to barf throughout the day today, but so far tonight they have kept down a little liquid. Sophie seems to be looking a little better, but she is still very tired and sleeps all the time. She also is very weak and can't really walk yet (her legs are not stable).

Please keep our whole family in your prayers. I am also not feeling well (they gave me this cold), I am getting very tired, and Brad is starting the cold now too.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I would cling to my bunny too all day if I had as much bad stuff happening to me as she did today.

I will keep on praying for you and the family. Praying that everyone get much needed rest and good health. Give the girls an extra hug from me.

Sonny Huisman said...

Oh my, Stacey! I can't imagine how freaked out I would be if one of my kids had a seizure! I'm so glad your Mom was there! I would NOT have handled that well!

I'm praying for you, girl! and for your babies!

OK . . . and for Braaaaaaaad too!

Let me know if you need a break on Sunday! I'm sure my mom would be more than happy to take your 5th grade girls!

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, Stacey! I just now read your last two posts! What a nightmare! I got chills when I read about Olivia's seizure...Please call me if you need anything (run errands, meals, clean, just let me know!) The kids have school thursday, and I will gladly come over and help.

Michelle said...

I am so glad Mom was there too!
"Nurse Judy" you know.
I pray you will feel a sense of calm and patience as you go though yet another round of illness with the gals.
Tell them Auntie Chelle loves them, and soon they'll be back to being weird-o's with me :)

Anna said...

Oh Stacey, we are praying for you all: strength, healing, patience, and peace! Love!

thad said...

Stacey,

You are amazing! Keep up the wonderful job you are doing. I pray for health for each one of you and continued strength to deal with it all.

Much Love,

Michelle (Thad & the girls too)

tami said...

Your title tells your great attitude toward all of these illnessess. Wow, I don't think it could get any worse, I will praying that it doesn't.

What would we ever do without our wonderful moms.

Anonymous said...

And I thought that Makayla having broke her both her arms, Noah with 10 stitches after a golf club to the head, and a death in the family was a bad year. We are barely thru Jan.. Wwe are thinking of you and your family and will keep you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy,

Just dropping by here, it's been a long time. Well, today is the 23rd, and I am hoping and praying that you are all starting to improve. I'll keep you in my prayers.

I had two tigers when I was a young un; once I left one out in the rain, I cried and cried. :)

My best to you all.

Mary Helen

Stacy said...

Oh my thoughts are with you all. Raising kids sure takes a few years off our own lives I think. I will be praying you all improve soon!

Anonymous said...

That barfing business must be payback from you. Remember when your dear old dad stayed home with you when you were sick. Michigan-MSU basketball game on tv and you start barfing. I still don't know who won that game. What you are doing now shows true love, I know mine was.

Anonymous said...

Fig NEVER brings that story up.