Be Still Banner

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Driver's Education x3


When people ask me if raising triplets was hard, I used to say, "It was really difficult the first year. It really is a blur when I think back... But also potty training them at three years old was also one of the hardest times. Plus, they had such attitudes at three. So yeah, it was hard when they were babies and when they were three, but the rest has been so much fun."

That was my answer until my girls reached fourteen and fifteen years old. This past year has been something else! I have been dealing with hormones, drama, stress of freshman year, anxiety, and this strange combination of laziness + wanting... and all times three!

But I would be remiss not to mention the driver's training! That's right... three girls in driver's training all at once. Yes, that meant we had to clock 50 hours of driving times three girls. It actually went ok once we realized that sometimes Brad would need to take some girls out for Sunday afternoon drives to catch up on hours when they fell behind. (He would bribe them with iced coffee.) 

The stressful part for me was actually all the driving and coordination of driving I had to do freshman year. Three fifteen year olds in different activities meant there was a lot of driving to and from school, friends' houses, and school events. When one of my friends was complaining to me about having to drive her fifteen year old everywhere I mentioned, "I think the busyness is God's way of helping you get ready to hand them the keys when they turn sixteen. If that last year of mom's taxi wasn't so horrible, we would never let them drive on their own!" Now I'm realizing that it really is true. I'm terrified to let them all get in a car together and drive off without me, but I'm so tired of driving them around that can't wait for it to happen. (I'm still going to be on my knees praying at home though!)

Well today we finally made it through driver's training. All three girls passed their road tests! Once they turn sixteen in August, off they go! We are turning a new chapter into independence. With licenses and cars, I will not be spending as much time with them in the car. They will be gone more doing teenage things. They will need to get another job to pay for gas. My girls are going to be quickly learning to be adults out in the world. Now more than ever, I realize that I have a few short years left to guide them into adulthood. They have passed driver's education, but I've got a lot of life education to share with them yet. As Proverbs 22:6 says, "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please subscribe to this blog! On the right side of this blog page you can simply input your email address and new posts will come to your inbox.

No comments: