Be Still Banner

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

"You're Such a Good Mom"

Recently a friend said to me, "You're such a good mom," after I explained what I had going on that day. My initial reaction was, 'No I'm not,' but instead I wrote, 'I'm just doing my best.' Why was it hard for me to accept this incredibly nice compliment? I'm not at all prideful about my mom-ing capabilities. In fact, I am often very critical of myself and think I am messing up my children all the time. But what makes a good mom really?

I guess I needed to ask some 16 going on 17-year-old teenage experts. I had never asked them this question. Seems strange that I have never before thought to ask my kids what they needed from me as a mom. I always I just assumed I mostly knew what they needed, or tried to figure it out. I'm so glad I asked them today. I've learned some things I can work on. Here's what they said...

"One that keeps changing and adapting to their child's needs out of love."

"Being gracious but unafraid to correct them."

"Always trying her best to understand her child's life when it's way different than hers."

"I think it's always important to be understanding and listen, but it's also super important to guide your kids and not let them run free."

"Finding the middle ground between spoiling and giving your kids everything and being too harsh and saying no to everything."

"Kids are still growing and learning and whether they know it or not they need help and boundaries set so they don't make extreme mistakes... but not too many so they can learn from their own!"

"Being able to think of my mom as a best friend and tell her about everything that happens in my life."

Some good stuff from these sweet girls. I am going to take that in and do my best. But really, I need to look to the Bible to learn what makes a good mom...

Mom goals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much to learn how to be a good Christian parent- pray and do your best ! 🙏🏻🙏🏻